Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Structuring a Blog

There are two major schools of thought when it comes to writing. The first, which I will call the "Zen" approach, encourages you to find your inner writer by practicing writing. The second, which I will call the "Technical" approach, encourages you to organize your thoughts and practice specific techniques for expressing them. Both have strengths and weaknesses which I will probably elaborate on at some point. However, for now, I am going to go with the Technical approach in this blog. I do this for two reasons. First the fact that these entries have labels suggests a need for structure. I would like to use meaningful labels to give the blog some sense of coherency. And, second, since I am new to this medium, I need to try different techniques to see what works. Since I chose the title Ranting and Reflecting, those will be two of my labels. I also like to write about writing, so Writing will be another. I am a professor in real life so I would think that some entries about a Professor's Life will leak in. And my areas are research are Virtual Worlds and Video Games. So those are likely topics as well. The question is - can I stick to a small set of topics or is this blog just going to wander around all over the place? I have no idea. I guess we will have to wait and see.

No comments: