Sunday, February 9, 2014

I Like Cooking

Cooking is a great pleasure that is not fully enjoyed by far too many people. Many people just don't have the time or the inclination. Traditionally, lot of men have never learned how to cook; and a lot of women have had to cook creating the sense that cooking is a chore or an obligation rather than a pleasure to pursue. I realize that gender roles are changing and don't wish to reinforce stereotypes here. But the point is that far to few people experience the joys of cooking some for traditional reasons and some for more modern reasons.

Cooking is a design activity and a creative endeavor. You are actually making something. And, you are making something of value. Perhaps you find creative satisfaction in photography, sketching or writing. Getting someone to look at your sketches or read your stories can be a challenge. But, if you create savory dishes, it is no problem finding people to enjoy them.

I think my approach to cooking is a little different from others, although, for all I know, it could be that everybody does it exactly the same. I don't follow recipes. I  try things. I will look at recipes for ideas. But, when it comes right down to it, I just try something and see how it comes out. Some times it does. Rarely is it inedible. So the food rarely goes to waste. But, some times it falls short. It isn't as good as it can be. When that happens, I try to figure out what I did wrong and what I should do differently next time. I call it experimental cooking. And when I am cooking for others, I try to limit the novelty of the experiment.

It is fun to go to a restaurant, find a dish you like, and then try to replicate it at home. It is fun to come up with an idea, try it out and see what happens. I have books on the science of cooking so I can gain a deeper understanding of exactly what is going on and how I can achieve different results.

I think there are three primary benefits to experimental cooking: First, it is a creative outlet which provides the same creative satisfaction that other creative outlets provide. Second, it is an excellent core for social activities. You may not get people to come over to your home to enjoy your sketches. But, invite them for a tasty dinner and they will be there. Third, when you cook things yourself you know exactly what is is going into the food you eat and you have much greater control over your dietary intake.

It is sad that so many people see cooking as a task that you have to do rather than a pleasure that you might want to do.

No comments: