Saturday, January 11, 2014

What Do I LIke ?

If you have been reading this blog for a while and hearing me bitch about all manner of things, you might wonder if there is anything I do like. The truth is that there are a lot of things that I like and I thought that now might be a good time to point some of them out lest I be dismissed entirely as a cranky old curmudgeon. I am just going to provide a list of things I like here. But, in subsequent posts I will explain what I like about them. This second step is important because a lot of people think that liking something is good enough. According to them, you don't have to know why you like it, you just like it. But, that is not good enough for me. I have to know why I like something lest I find myself liking something that I don't really like. Yes, life gets complicated for me. And I recognize the fact that there are compelling arguments in favor of the unexamined life. But, before I digress on that, here are some things I like.

I like books. I like history. I like movies and TV. I like recorded books and lectures. I like  sushi. I like single malt scotch. I like good beer. I like teaching. I like people (Well, not very  many really. But the one's I like, I like a lot) I like World of Warcraft. I like waking, hiking and biking. I like the C&O Canal. I like cooking.I like kids. I like students. I like new ideas. I like learning new things. I like detecting new trends. I like finding patterns in things that don't seem to make sense. I like cats and dogs and reliable cars. I like Sudoku and jigsaw puzzles. I like figuring out how things got to be the way they are. I like the National Gallery of Art and the Smithsonian. I like people who are clever, creative or know what they are talking about. All three are rare and if they all occur in one person it is scarey.

Over the next few posts and more sporadically after that, I will explain why I like these things. After all, the unexamined like is not worth liking.

No comments: