Monday, January 24, 2011

Distance Education

It has been a while since I posted to this blog. All the usual excuses apply. I was busy. I was tired of writing for a while. Heck, I was just lazy. But, I am over it and ready to start posting again. I have done a lot of work with distance education over the past six months and am going to jot down some of my notes here.

I think distance education has enormous potential both educationally and economically. That is to say, there is money to be made and people to be educated. The biggest problem at the moment, as it usually the case, is a failure of both understanding and imagination. I would point to the early days of the web as an analogy. In the early 1990's it was hard to see applications for web technologies. By the mid 1990's that was sorted out. And by the late 1990's we had the dot com bubble. I don't think distance education will happen quite as quickly. But, I think it will happen. And the impact will be of similar magnitude. So, I am going to write down some of my thoughts about this emerging phenomenon here over the next few weeks or months.

No comments: