Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The GNU World Order

The more I think about it, the more I believe that there is something to this idea of mass collaboration. Much of the progress that we saw in the 20th century can be traced back to two simple but very powerful ideas. Francis Bacon's empirical view of science allowed us to produce huge quantities of reliable scientific knowledge. And Adam Smith's Pin Factory allowed us to produce huge quantities of reliable technology. (To those who always say, "Oh, the world is much more complicated than that.", point taken. I am simplifying things to make a point here.)

Now we take two very simple new ideas. First, people work best when exploiting their strengths. And, second, self organizing collaborative systems allow each person to most effectively achieve their maximum productivity. Taken together, these two ideas comprise The GNU World Order.

I should explain, for the uninitiated, that GNU (pronounced Nu, the G is silent) is a recursive acronym "Gnu's Not Unix". It is the name given to a line of open source software developed by the Free Software Foundation. This is, to my knowledge, the first major example of mass collaboration. So, I though it appropriate to name the new age of mass collaboration the GNU World Order, also playing off "the New World Order" of the enlightenment.

I can honestly say that I don't know where all this is going. But my intuition says that it is definitely going somewhere and is worth keeping an eye on.

No comments: